Visual merchandisers are responsible for designing and creating attractive visual displays for retail outlets. As creative and innovative thinkers, they use their skills in visual design and space utilization to enhance the aesthetic appeal of window displays, walkways, counters, and in-store displays.
- Creating and implementing a visual merchandising strategy for the store.
- Ensuring the strategy is in line with the store’s brand, products, and target market.
- Generating sketches of visual displays that meet the store’s visual design requirements.
- Finalizing designs and creating detailed floor plans for display areas.
- Sourcing the props, creative materials, and accessories for displays.
- Installing and setting up window displays, walkways, counters, and in-store displays, or supervising contractors hired for this purpose.
- Changing displays to promote new product launches or to reflect festive or seasonal themes.
- Ensuring uniformity of displays across multiple store locations.
- Liaising with other retail professionals, including buyers, marketing executives, and retail merchandisers, when necessary.
- Monitoring costs and working within budget.
- Researching lifestyle and design trends that will inform the visual merchandising strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, visual communications, spatial design, interior design, retail management, or a related field.
- Proven work experience as a visual merchandiser or visual manager.
- Comprehensive portfolio of relevant visual design work.
- Experienced at using Adobe Creative Suite programs, such as Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, or other visual design tools.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of current visual merchandising trends and best practices.
- Ability to analyze sales merchandising reports and survey results.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible working hours, including evenings and weekends.